Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Singer-Songwriter Looking for Backing Musicians
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singer-Songwriter Looking for Backing Musicians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Other Musicians Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Introspection
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Singer-Songwriter Looking for Backing Musicians Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm a solo artist looking for a bassist to join my backing band. Smile
In addition to a bass player, I'd also consider auditioning pianist/keys players (and potentially guitarists with the right attitude).
Rehearsals will be in Caulfield.

A little bit about me: I've written roughly 200 songs over the past two years, and have gigged regularly all around Melbourne for roughly the past four years. In August I released my debut album, which I produced entirely on my own, and arranged and performed all of the parts aside from the drums and bass. Since about September, I have had a weekly original residency at a well-known venue in Richmond. I was recently selected as one of ten acts internationally to perform at the 17th Annual Jeff Buckley tribute concert, which was held in Chicago in November (and which Jeff's mother attended), and subsequently embarked on a self-organised acoustic tour around the US, where I played at many historic venues in Chicago, New York, Nashville, Memphis and Austin. I will soon be releasing a new EP, and plan to move to Nashville within the next year.

Firstly, to be totally clear: I'm not looking to co-write, form a normal band, or to perform under a different name. The act name is my name. Without 'trio', 'band', or 'and the Blahblahs' attached to the end, and will not be changed. I'm not looking for session players, because I'm not looking to surround myself with people who are just in it for the money. I want someone committed, who loves the songs and who wants to create something really special (which will lead to more money later!).

I want someone with a positive, open-minded, relaxed temperament who is passionate about their instrument, and will be happy to hang out, jam, and work on building a tight sound, rather than just learning the songs and putting in minimal effort. I think stage chemistry is very important!

I already have an extremely talented, dedicated drummer, and we're looking for someone to join our team. Once we've found the right bassist, we will be rehearsing 1-2 times weekly and gigging as much as possible, leading up to recording another album and potentially touring the US at the end of the year.

I love making music, and am determined to make a career out of it. I believe nothing is unachievable if you have a vision and work hard enough to bring it to life. My goal is to do things the old fashioned way - gigs, great songs, and honest, hard work. Not reality TV and Auto-Tune. ;)

I have many different influences, but the artists that inspire me the most are Jeff Buckley, John Mayer, Ryan Adams (not Bryan), Justin Timberlake, Radiohead and Bon Iver. I want to create something fresh and diverse - soulful, groovy, bluesy indie rock.

To give one example of my sound, you can listen to a track from my album by clicking here

If you're interested in coming in for an audition, please send me a message with recorded examples of your playing, and tell me a little bit about yourself and what your dreams are! Smile

Cheers,
Dan
Introspection
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Up
Bump. Still looking. Smile
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to clarify, you want musos to play behind you. They'll have no creative input, songwriting credits or naming rights. They just need to do everything you say. And you don't want session musos, presumably because you can't afford to pay session rates.

Sounds appealing. Good luck.

Wayno.
le_fou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
Introspection
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watchdog wrote:
So to clarify, you want musos to play behind you. They'll have no creative input, songwriting credits or naming rights. They just need to do everything you say. And you don't want session musos, presumably because you can't afford to pay session rates.

Sounds appealing. Good luck.

Wayno.

Perhaps I need to reword what I've written here! Razz

Forgive me for copying and pasting, but I just wrote this in response to someone saying the same thing in my thread in the 'Bassists Wanted' forum:

I know I'm not exactly dangling carrots here, but I'd rather be clear to begin with than have an awkward talk when the bassist asks what we're going to name the band. Which I've had to do a couple of times. ;)
Functionally, the structure is like a band. I'm looking for permanent people to play with. I'd prefer not to write drum/bass parts, because I'm sure I wouldn't be quite as proficient at it as a drummer or bassist. But I often write five or more songs a week on my own, and I find that I function best that way.

However, I'm also 22, and unemployed because I've been spending every day over the last two years honing my craft whilst studying audio engineering. Had I been more sane, I should have become an electrician or something. Razz
I'm hoping that one day soon, with some hard work, I'll be able to facilitate paying my backing musicians a salary. But until I'm getting paid enough to survive from my music, I can't feasibly support others as well.
So, what I'm saying isn't, "Please play for me for free," but rather, "Let's make this our career, together." That's the attitude that my drummer (who I found on here, and have been playing with for two years under this same arrangement) and I have.

I'm hoping there's a bassist out there who's keen to contribute to my songs and be a part of this project, and hopefully we can make some great records together. Call me an idealist, but that's the kind of artist I want to be! I know a lot of people won't understand that, and will think I'm asking for a lot, and that's okay too. Smile

Peace.
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. It's nothing personal. It's just that as a backline muso I get annoyed when I read posts like yours. Got this crazy idea that up and coming singers need up and coming musos (and vice versa). And that singers need some street cred and a good following before they can start expecting the kind of things you're asking for.

But having said that, there are a lot of different paths to the dream so good luck with yours.

Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Other Musicians Wanted All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: