Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Horn section for progressive hip hop - eastern suburbs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horn section for progressive hip hop - eastern suburbs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Other Musicians Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will mixing Hip Hop with Progressive create an interesting sound?
Wow! That might sound really good. Never thought about mixing those styles together. Should be great!
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Not sure. It might work. Might be too much for general musical tastes, but I look forward to the outcome
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WTF! If mixing these styles work, I won't just blow my trumpet/sax, I'll f**king blow myself!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Why do I keep getting this random page? Who the **** is this guy!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

HopHip

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Horn section for progressive hip hop - eastern suburbs Reply with quote

Hi all

Looking for a horn section for a progressive hip hop band. It's progressive metal (in the style of Porcupine Tree, Cog, The Butterfly Effect, Karnivool, Dream Theater, Periphery [whom are heavier than the fore mentioned groups], but mixed with hip hop. It's not nu-metal (like Limp Biscuit), more progressive and epic.

What excites me is to include passages in the style of Pink Floyd with awesome Sax and Trumpet solos. So it's not full on metal with guitar wanking off, I want to include everything and find a place for all instruments.

I must admit, I have no idea what I'm looking for in regard to a horn section. How many Trumpets do I need. Do I need an Alto sax.

Yes I know, sounds like a mis-match, but try to visualize strong melodic intros where the guitar, bass, drums and keyboard groove (ie check out the myspace posted below), then verses which will allow the MC's to rap over [not 50 Cent style, but more Hilltop Hoods]. Then once the chorus comes around, it'll be commercial but rocky - commercial in the sense of having a great melody, not because it sells, where the male and/or female vocals will be present [or the MC if need be]. So where would the horn section sit. Where ever it likes. The heavy grooves can include cool horn lines - i listen to a lot of heavy music and know that horns have been used in heavy music eg Dillinger Escape Plan with Milk Lizard, Faith No More with Star AD, The Butterfly Effect with Worlds On Fire -which has a fantastic trumpet solo. Mr Bungle is another good example [though more funk i guess] Regardless it can be done.

A full sound, but with no stepping on toes and allowing space between instruments. Everything flows and works with each other. Well tries too.

I've set up a basic myspace page so that people can get an idea of what I mean. It's rough, and it's only song ideas. Also they are currently heavy, but I plan on working with different band members to work on sections that fit everyone.

The address is www.myspace.com/projectproghiphop [so project prog hip hop - all as one word]

So if it interests you or you have any questions, or wanna chat, send me a PM

Thanks
HopHip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking for horns. Anyone interested??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Other Musicians Wanted All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: