Create an account

Pony Music Recording Studio

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Custom Shop Fenders, what's the attraction?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Shop Fenders, what's the attraction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FretlessEric
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Custom Shop Fenders, what's the attraction? Reply with quote

These days there are so many Custom Shop Fenders being sold, obviously a successful approach by Fender as it continues with named luthiers or the so-called "team built" muddying the waters.

They are (from my perspective) extraordinarily expensive compared to non-CS and I wonder what entices people to pay that sort of money for, certainly playability-wise, what could be achieved with a model lower in the portfolio and a bit of time on the bench for much less money.

Parts can easily be bought after-market and changed so just what is it that people look for and (possibly) find in a CS version, is it the relic work, wood selection, case candy or simply the "prestige" of having one?

I'll add that my personal view is that Vintage reissues offer all that apart from the relic look, which I don't want.

I'm just interested, that's all.

Thanks.
GAGA
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the wood is a higher grade, in terms of the ash stuff it's often lighter swamp ash. Often nitro paint too which will let the guitar resonate a lot more compared to polyester. But still way overpriced imo.
FretlessEric
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I accept those points, although the widely used terms like "higher grade" are debatable, except where this is evident and visibly nicer or lighter. I'd suggest that these are not solely the reserve of CS though and selective shopping around will find attractive and/or light weight (if that is an arbiter of desirability).

Nitro too is available on other models, even Mexican made.

I'd like to find out if anyone (not necessary yourself GAGA) is an owner of a CS, what were your criteria that convinced you to stump up a fair sum of money?
FretlessEric
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so no-one wants to 'fess up Smile
GeoffMison
The Boss
The Boss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've visited the Fender factory in Corona California. The main factory (Fender USA models etc) was 99.9% Mexican workers, the Custom Shop was 100% caucasian workers. In the Custom Shop each guitar is handled by one or two luthiers only whereas in the main factories each guitar is handled by about 30+ workers as it goes down the line. So attention to detail on the Custom Shop guitars is much different. I suppose it's like buying a production line car or a custom built car - both will get you from Point A to B but it depends on what makes you feel the best and what you can afford.
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your perspective, Geoff.

Interesting to hear but, to the end buyer who doesn't see that input and only sees the result, it comes down to what's in the shop, or on the used market come to that.

As you correctly say "what makes you feel the best", that's what I'm after finding out.

I do have a "few" Fenders (from MIM to later AVRI) and played many others from Chinese to Custom Shop instruments and I have my own assessment, I'm just interested in what sways other people into buying one and what makes them see value for money.

Still no answers from any buyers, I see... Smile
fender-picker
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Fender Custom Shop Tele and Strat, and to be honest, they were good, but nothing special, and I've played standard issue versions which were as good and in some cases better. I now use a custom made Tele from a local builder which is streets ahead of the Fenders.
daphneblue
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had them all, there are good old Fenders, bad old Fenders, good new Fenders and bad new Fenders. It's what feels right and sounds great when you pick it up and play it that counts.

Funny what Geoff said...you'd think it'd cost more after 30 people had help make it rather than 2 Cheesy Grin
FretlessEric
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good and valid comments but what do people actually LOOK TO FIND when considering a CS instrument? There is a considerable cost difference between, say, a Vintage Reissue or something similar, and a CS.

Knowing that the wood was good, it was finished in Nitro, good fit and finish and the electronics were good quality and at least a reasonable set up (something I don't see mentioned at retail outlets these days, but that's another question for another thread... hmm, I might start that one up) could be considered the fundamentals - in that ball park so what exactly does one expect above that for the money?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: