Create an account

Open Mic @ Pony Music

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - what keyboard should I buy - 1 handed ex guitarist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what keyboard should I buy - 1 handed ex guitarist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deepred
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: what keyboard should I buy - 1 handed ex guitarist Reply with quote

I haven't posted here (or been involved in music much) since 2015, when I was unlucky enough to have a stroke when I was having an op to fix a brain aneurysm. The stroke has left with a right hand that don't work, and that's the end of my guitar playing days Frowning .

But, now I used to play a little keyboard, mostly just left handed chords and stuff. So after much hassling from family and the singer I used to play with I've decided to get a decent keyboard or computer thingo that can do bass rhythms and I can play over that, and be a part of an amateur band again!

Get me started - give me some types of keyboard/computer programs worth up to $2k. What should I get?
bernieL0max
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a guitarist who has migrated to keys due to nerve pain.

Only a couple of thoughts...

If your playing will be mostly left handed you will likely (eventually) find yourself playing 'bass' riffs.

You won't need a computer thingo doing anything in a band situation; perhaps good for bedroom practice.

You need to make a choice regarding hammer action, weighted/non, do you prefer the feel of a piano or synth/organ?
deepred
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, thanks. Yep bass riffs it is.

Hadn't thought of hammer action - you mean like it play's louder if you hit it harder right?
PowersOf
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like the resistance under the keys. Fully weighted is like a real piano. I'm a guitarist who is playing a little keys these days and I got a great second hand deal on a Kurzweil. They seem to go for great prices second hand. Not as modern and sleek looking as some others but sound amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: